19 Ways to Wake Up in the Morning
Waking up in the morning is a pet peeve of mine. No matter how much sleep I got, somehow, the alarm clock manages to make me angry every time. I’ve broken a couple and learnt to ignore a few others. When I came across these alarm clocks, I knew I wasn’t alone. (Even though some of these made me chuckle)
The Pleasant Wakeup
1. Wake up To a cup of coffee – “The Barisieur Coffee Brewing Alarm System” is a godsend for those of us who need their caffeine fix as soon as they wake up! As the alarm goes off, your nose is embraced by the scent of freshly brewed coffee, and you get your energy boost right there, in bed!
2. Wake up To The Smell Of Bacon – The people at Oscar Mayer realized that the smell of bacon is incredibly powerful when it comes to get people out of bed, and so they created this gadget that attaches to your phone and syncs with your alarm, so that when it goes off, it releases the smell of bacon to the air, urging you to get up.
3. The Silent Alarm – No noise, not smells, just good vibrations. That is to say, this little ring will start vibrating until you wake up. Feel like snoozing? Just shake your hand, but each time you shake to snooze - you’ll need to shake it for a longer duration.
4. An Alarm Clock for 2 – Similar to the one above, this clock is designed with couples in mind. You can each set it up to different times and wake up separately thanks to the vibrations and without waking up your partner.
5. Nature’s Wakeup Call – A calm and natural awakening is the best thing in the world, and this is exactly what this clock is emulating. The alarm will start lighting up about 30 minutes before the wakeup time, increasing in intensity to mimic the sunrise. Once peak lighting is reached, it’ll start playing nature sounds to help you wake up.
The Less Pleasant Wakeup
6. Head Shaker – If we’re mentioning vibrating alarms, this pillow will vibrate, making you wake up (or toss it away)! It’s got a timer you pull to set, and just rest your head. Oh, and if the pillow realizes you didn’t wake up, it’ll go into snooze mode, and will start again in a few minutes.
7. A Light Wake Up – When the alarm goes off, you don’t get noise, smells or vibrations. Instead, the pillow lights up until you wake up and lift your head. Once you do – it’ll show you the time thanks to specialized lights in the pillow. Pretty incredible!
The Very Unpleasant Wakeup
8. The Sonic Boom – If you ignore the sound your alarm makes, you might need this one. Forget about sleeping, because when this alarm goes off, it explodes with 113db of sound (louder than a power-saw and almost as loud as a rock concert). Oh, it also starts blasting lights and even comes with a special unit that will shake your bed. Nope, no more sleep!
9. Shocking Music – This lovely clock-radio has high quality speakers, so you can enjoy your favorite radio station when you wake up, and a special feature you don’t see everywhere – the “snooze” button is made of aluminum and can deliver a mild electric shock to wake you up and discourage you from kitting it again.
10. Time Is Money – Still think you need a better reason to wake up? Well, this alarm clock is connected to the internet and every time you hit the snooze button, it will donate money to an organization you hate. I think that’s a very good reason not to sleep in.
The "Simon Says" Wakeup
11. Wake Up Smiling – The Smile alarm clock has an advance facial-recognition algorithm that will only switch off the alarm when you smile at it. Oh, and if you think a fake smile’s enough – you’re dead-wrong! This clock knows when you’re happy for real!
12. Wake’N’Shake – No snooze button here, just shake, shake, shake! When this alarm app goes off, you’ll have to shake your phone until the red bar fills up. By the time it will be – you won’t fell like going back to bed.
13. Get Up, Stand Up – This alarm clock is also your bedside mat. It has LED lights to show you the time and the only way to stop the alarm is to put both feet on the mat!
14. The Weight Of Waking Up – Shaped like a dumbbell, this alarm clock requires that you do 30 bicep curls to switch off the alarm. It even has a motion detector to make sure you’re doing them correctly, or they don’t count.
15. Wake Up Your Brain – The IQ Clock won’t stop unless you solve some brain-teasers first. And if you think you can just turn it off, you’re sorely mistaken – you have to hold the power button pressed for 30 seconds to power it down…
16. Targeted Alarm – When it’s time to wake up, the target pops up and you have to hit the bull’s-eye with this mini-laser gun!
17. Clocky Rolly – As soon as the alarm starts, this little crazy clock starts driving around in random patterns, and you have to catch it to stop it. It will even fall off your desk (up to a height of 3 feet) and run away.
18. More Annoying Than A Fly – Because if you thought the one that drives around with the alarm on is annoying enough, this one will fly around with the alarm on! The only way to stop it is to catch it and put it back in its home-base.
19. Never Forget – Not the loudest or the most annoying of the lot, this alarm has a small erasable board on which you can leave yourself a message for the morning. It even lights up for better visibility.