Somebody has rightly said, “Hinduism is not a religion, it is a way of life.” Here Nature is of paramount importance and the Gods of Hinduism are basically different forms of Nature. It is amazing how various practice of Hinduism has an underlying scientific benefit. Let’s look at 22 Hindu rituals to see how scientific this ancient religion has been.
1. People are advised to worship Neem and Banyan tree in the morning. Inhaling the air near these trees, is good for health.
2. If you are trying to look ways for stress management, there can’t be anything other than Hindu Yoga aasan Pranayama (inhaling and exhaling air slowly using one of the nostrils).
3. Hindu temples are built scientifically. The place where an idol is placed in the temple is called ‘Moolasthanam’. This ‘Moolasthanam’ is where earth’s magnetic waves are found to be maximum, thus benefitting the worshipper.
4. Every Hindu household has a Tulsi plant. Tulsi or Basil leaves when consumed, keeps our immune system strong to help prevent the H1N1 disease.
5. The rhythm of Vedic mantras, an ancient Hindu practice, when pronounced and heard are believed to cure so many disorders of the body like blood pressure.
6. Hindus keep the holy ash in their forehead after taking a bath, this removes excess water from your head.
7. Women keep kumkum bindi on their forehead that protects from being hypnotised.
8. Eating with hands might be looked down upon in the west but it connects the body, mind and soul, when it comes to food.
9. Hindu customs requires one to eat on a leaf plate. This is the most eco-friendly way as it does not require any chemical soap to clean it and it can be discarded without harming the environment.
10. Piercing of baby’s ears is actually part of acupuncture treatment. The point where the ear is pierced helps in curing Asthma.
11. Sprinkling turmeric mixed water around the house before prayers and after. Its known that turmeric has antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities.
12. The old practice of pasting cow dung on walls and outside their house prevents various diseases/viruses as this cow dung is anti-biotic and rich in minerals.
13. Hindus consider drinking cow urine to cure various illnesses. Apparently, it does balance bile, mucous and airs and a remover of heart diseases and effect of poison.
14. The age-old punishment of doing sit-ups while holding the ears actually makes the mind sharper and is helpful for those with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, learning difficulties and behavioural problems.
15. Lighting ‘diyas’ or oil or ghee lamps in temples and house fills the surroundings with positivity and recharges your senses.
16. ‘Janoyi’, or the string on a Brahmin’s body, is also a part of Acupressure ‘Janoyi’ and keeps the wearer safe from several diseases.
17. Decorating the main door with ‘Toran’- a string of mangoes leaves actually purifies the atmosphere.
18. Touching your elder’s feet keeps your backbone in good shape.
19. Cremation or burning the dead, is one of the cleanest form of disposing off the dead body.
20. Chanting the mantra ‘Om’ leads to significant reduction in heart rate which leads to a deep form of relaxation with increased alertness.
21. Hanuman Chalisa, according to NASA, has the exact calculation of the distance between Sun and the Earth.
22. The ‘Shankh Dhwani’ creates the sound waves by which many harmful germs, insects are destroyed.The mosquito breeding is also affected by Shankh blowing and decreases the spread of malaria.