9 Quick Ways to Get Rid of the Hiccups
We all know how frustrating it can be to get a bad case of the hiccups. A hiccup is an involntary contraction of the diaphragm. Once the contraction occurs, it causes an intake of breath that is suddenly stopped by the vocal cords closing off. The closure of the vocal cords then produce a "hic" type of sound.
Hiccups can last anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few hours. They can be stopped by using natural home remedies to increase the level of carbon dioxide in the blood. Hiccups lasting over 48 hours are called persistent hiccups. If they have not gone away in that time period, please consult your family physician.
What Causes Hiccups:
Here Are 9 Home Remedies To Cure the Hiccups:
1) Eat a Little Peanut Butter - This delicious remedy involves a large tablespoon of peanut butter. The slow digestion process of the peanut butter disrupts your swallowing and breathing patterns, which eliminates the hiccups. Besides, what other excuse do you need to eat a spoonful of peanut butter!
2) Have a Teaspoon of Honey - Honey can cure almost anything, including hiccups! A teaspoon of honey is all it takes to get rid of those unwanted hiccups. Mix the teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water, and allow it to slide onto the back of your tongue before swallowing.
3) Swallow A Teaspoon of Sugar - Did you know that a spoonful of sugar can help fight the hiccups off? The grainy texture of the sugar can change nerve impulses on your tongue, and help irritate the esophagus. The vagus nerve is then stimulated, and your hiccups are history!
4) Swallow Something Sour - The sour acidity found in vinegar and pickle juice can also disrupt the esophagus, which puts an end to your hiccupping situation. Drink half a teaspoon of either vinegar or pickle juice, every 10 seconds until the hiccups go away. Yes, this does sound rather unpleasant, but it works.
5) Try a Little Hot Sauce - Hot sauce helps by distracting you from hiccupping. The hot spicy flavor burns inside your mouth and digestive tract long enough to help you forget about that terrible hiccupping situation. You don't have to reach for the ulta hot tabasco sauce, the mild stuff will do just as well.
6) Powdered Chocolate Can Help - A delicious teaspoon of powdered cocoa mix can work wonders for your hiccups. Take a spoonful of powdered cocoa or Ovaltine mix, and swallow it right away. The difficult swallowing process of the cocoa can help put an end to the hiccups.
7) The Paper Towel Method - Put a single layer of paper towel over the top of a glass, and then drink through the towel. A napkin may be used as an alternative. The paper towel forces your diaphragm to work harder, in order to drink the water. The hiccups should disappear after that.
8) Chew On Some Dill - This hiccup cure goes back a long way. Chewing on a teaspoon of dill seeds helps to stimulate the vagus nerve, which should put an end to your hiccupping nightmare, once and for all! Dill seeds can also be mixed with tea as an alternative to stop the hiccups.
9) The Brown Paper Bag Method - Paper bags are used to prevent hyperventilating, and help cure the hiccups. Breathing slowly and deeply into a small paper bag increases the carbon dioxide level in the blood. This process allows the diaphragm to contract deeper to bring more oxygen in. The hiccups should end after a few deep breaths.